Saturday, September 10, 2011

Done is Better than Perfect

Someone told me recently that this was one of her friend's mottoes; I think I'm going to adopt it. Done is ALWAYS better than perfect. If I want my bathroom clean, I will do it well. Sometimes I will do it REALLY well. Is it ever perfect down to the last spot on the wall? Never! But it gets done. And that is so much better than perfect.

I belong to a family full of people who believe that perfect is better than done. If I ask one of them to clean the bathroom, they will go at the bathtub and work for an hour, maybe two, to get every last spot. Perhaps then they will have time to think about the mirror. And sooner or later they will run out of time--at this point, the bath tub is, indeed, perfect. But nothing else is done.

So--should I be striving for perfection, or should they be striving toward completion? I don't really know. I guess it's good to have some of both in every family. :)

No comments: