Monday, July 19, 2010

There's a Double Meaning in That

Often I'm at a loss to explain lyrics and word meanings to my kids. The other day I was reading a book to #1 and one of the characters said something that had a double meaning. I asked him if he knew what a "double meaning" was. He did not. I then said it was when you said one thing that actually could mean two different things. Then I tried to think of an example. The only ones I could think of were inappropriate. Whoops. Didn't go very well. I think he was more confused at the end of the conversation than he was before.

A few days later we were singing "Tomorrow" from Annie at Broadway Youth choir. I thought I did an excellent job explaining how the lyrics are hope for a better tomorrow. Later that day in the car #2 said, "Mommy, why does Annie say 'Tomorrow, I love ya? Why does she love tomorrow?" Thinking she hadn't been listening during my moving explanation during choir, I tried again. Her response, "If she named her dog 'tomorrow' it would make more sense."

Yes, indeed it would! I guess she just loves today--and I'm so glad.

No comments: