Tuesday, August 30, 2011

ABC's and 123's

Baby is obsessed with numbers and letters. He LOVES his alphabet blocks that have letters AND numbers on them, and drags them all over the house. I had to take all the kids to pack meeting last month, and instead of books I brought a bag of these alphabet blocks. They kept him entertained the whole hour! The only problem was that he was so exuberant when he found his favorite letters. "F!" "E!" "A!" "S!" Several people around me were laughing at how cute he was. It's so funny to see such a little person identify all the letters and numbers.

Another thing that impresses me about him is that he understands the order of all the numbers and letters. He likes to carry two things around (one in each hand), and if he has two blocks, or two cards or two magnets, they MUST be in alphabetical or numerical order. His favorite combinations are 1 & 2, 3 & 4, A & B, and E & F. Today I was putting him down for a nap, and he found a blue "4" card, and was distraught that he didn't have the "3" card. He kept saying it was stuck, and wouldn't calm down. I finally went downstairs to find the "3" card and went upstairs to give it to him. "Fanks!", he said, and laid down to go to sleep.

His counting is pretty impressive, too. He hasn't just memorized how to count from 1-10. He gets to twelve, then says "ah-teen, ah-teen, ah-teen, ah-teen, ah-teen, ah-teen, ah-teen, itty." He says the right amount of "ah-teens", but they all sound the same! His "itty" is a cross between twenty and thirty. So then he counts through the "itties": "itty-one.....itty NIIIIIINNNEE, ITTY! Itty-one," etc. Though he may not have the pronunciation quite right (ha!), he understands that the numbers are groups of ten, and that the first number changes after nine. Pretty impressive for a two-year-old, I'd say! The kids think so, too, and are very generous with his mispronunciation--if asked, they say he can count to 39.

I have a feeling he's going to be reading soon! :)

No comments: