Last week when my sister got home from her ward camp out, I have to admit I laughed at how it sounded: rocky, desert campground, a rattlesnake next to their tent, scorpions, black widows and a tarantula found at the gathering place, and several run-ins with cacti. Although I opted to stay home from our camp out, I thought, "surely it can't be as bad as THAT!" Well...

Luckily #1 was not deterred by any scary desert stories. When I asked him what he would like to have for dinner, I was informed that he was going to carve a knife out of a rock and kill a deer for dinner. When asked what he wanted to do the next morning? Catch a wild horse and go for a ride with his sister. He only got lost once, and luckily did not come home with any major injuries--killing deers with hand-carved rocks CAN be dangerous, after all.

His sister, on the other hand, told him in no uncertain terms that she would NOT be riding the wild horse with him. She was interested in finding wildflowers and appreciating the wonders of camping and nature--such as marshmallows and hot chocolate. She was also excited to go on a hike. When #1 stole her hiking stick, her Dad informed them that he needed to give it back and that they would find him a new hiking stick. #2 piped in: "Yes, we need to find him a walking stick fit for a gentleman." (Luckily she still thinks he's a gentleman after killing deers, catching wild horses, and stealing hiking sticks from innocent bystanders.) Where does she come up with these things?
As for spouse, he unluckily forgot one sleeping bag--so he slept in the back of the car in 29 degree weather with a small corner of the unzipped sleeping bag he was "sharing" with #1. He had a scare when #1 got lost, and then worried all night about the black bear that was sighted near the campground.
So--rattlesnakes or black bears? Scorpions or 29 degree temperatures? Either way, the kids will be talking about it for months. I'm so glad spouse agrees to go on these things so he can build memories with the kids. I was a little sad to have missed out and stayed home with baby...sounds like it was a camp out fit to remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment